Weekly Web Tip: When working on your website you work with a lot of the marketing fundamentals for your business. There are some steps you should take before even thinking about what content to put on your site and what search terms you should target:
1. Who are your customers/target market - this one is just a general context the obvious answer being dentists (simple I know, stay with me).
2. Who are your customers REALLY - do you want to target local dentists, national dentists, source internationally. Do you specialize in quality, price, turnaround, service, added education and chair side assistance?
3. Once you've really thought about who you want to target, now you should have an idea of the people that will be searching for you. Sit in their chair, what would your target market type into a search engine to find you?
4. Search the terms you think people will use to find you - compare what your competition is doing to be at the number one spot. This will also show you if your search terms are relevant.
5. Add these qualified search terms to your site - in content, links, meta description, title page, headings, site index's, basically wherever you can.
6. Search yourself using the search terms you are targeting to ensure your making progress - this will keep you motivated and let you know if your on the right path.
7. If it ain't broke you still gotta fix it. Search terms (AddWords as google calls them) are to be integrated frequently, if your competition/target market shifts then you have to be there, searchable and ready to accommodate more business. Add different types of search terms, you don't just target 'dental lab' almost every dental lab site has that in their URL. You need terms that include your products and services, your competitive advantage (what you do better than others) and anything else you think is worthy information that will appeal to your audience when they are searching for a dental lab.
8. Ask your friends! - You should always ask your friends (and your dentists), "What would you search if you were looking for a lab?" That question can give you an immense amount of feedback.
Learn your dentists, know what they want, what they think they want and what they don't know they want and then add it to your site. Websites, like all marketing is a numbers game. Get 1000 hits get 10 new customers. The more accurate search terms you include on your site, the higher that number will be.
The weekly web tip is designed to help dental lab owners develop their websites to get more value from their web presence. If you have any points you would like to share please include them in the comments section!