Welcome to The BRIDGE, the social and information hub of the dental lab industry. Connect with industry peers and vendors, ask questions, sign up for events, review products, read LMT articles and industry news and more!
Sounds to me like you need to sit down with her and work out a fee schedule for both her and the outside customers. Expectations need to be expressed on both sides and decisions need to be made as to whether it is worthwhile or not. She wants a discount but a discount from what price? Does she have an expectations for priority handling of cases over outside customers and will that interfere with your capacity to generate business? Do you have the capacity to make a good living from this business?...(more)
That's an easy one...do you have excess capacity? Will you still be able to produce work on time for your own technicians while you're busy meeting deadlines for the other lab? What is your profit margin? Is this the best use of your production resources? Can you make more money elsewhere? Will this lab pay its bill?
If you can clearly answer all these questions, your decision will be made.
We've done our best to order smaller lots and send in scrap more frequently to minimize our exposure and risk to price fluctuations. With the price setting on the second London fix, we order alloy only on days the market is "up" and delay orders when the market is "down" and allow the lower price to "fix" at the lower rate. Since we "flat fee" our metal-based crowns, we monitor the markets very closely and adjust our fees in $5 increments. Mostly however, we use pricing strategies to steer our dentists...(more)